Where the heck did this week go? One minute I was watching President Biden being sworn in and the next minute it’s 5:30 p.m. on Friday! I had a couple of fun posts that just didn’t make it to the blog this week, but I promise they will be up next week and will have been worth the wait.
Until then, here are a few things I’ve been loving this week:
- Beacon Place: One of my favorite not-for-profits is back up and running after a small break over the holidays. Beacon Place is a community center in southeast Waukegan with programs for kids and adults. It was established in 2012 by a group of dedicated and inspired individuals who recognized a significant need and decided to do something about it. Somehow, even in spite of the pandemic, Beacon Place has organized itself in such a way that volunteers can work onsite safely. I currently help with their grocery distribution program on Friday afternoons. They’re also looking to fill a few paid positions in the coming months. If you have any interest in learning how you might become involved, feel free to comment on this post or click here for more information.
- House of Shan “Love” Sweatshirt: If you’re looking for a way to get into that Valentine’s Day spirit, I have just the thing for you. Chicago-based Shannon Buth, founder of the House of Shan, has launched this collection of “love” sweatshirts that are sure to be the most favorite thing in your closet. Not only are these sweatshirts so soft and super cute, $5 from every sale this month is donated to Betsy’s Blankets, an organization that provides warmth by giving blankets and sheets to those who need them most. I’ll be talking to Shannon next week and learning more about her work, but I know already that she’s an incredible person changing the world–one sweatshirt at a time.
- Full Flourish Pullover from lululemon: I had so many questions about the blue top I was wearing in my post about smoothies this week. It’s from lululemon and is made in their Luxtreme fabric. It’s slightly cropped, but so comfortable, and this chambray color is to die for! It’s an easy piece to wear that also makes you look super pulled together. Click here for the details. I’m wearing a size 8 for reference.
- Big Magic: I’ve been listening to Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert as an audiobook on my chilly walks this week. I was told that this was a must- read/must-listen for anyone who wants to live a creative life. I’m only about halfway through, but there are so many little nuggets that I’m hoping will push me to be a little more curious and a little more brave in everything I do.
- Mask Tent: My favorite hot yoga studio has been holding classes and it’s so great to be back. The only challenge is having to wear a mask in all that heat and humidity. The studio’s owner recommended these mask tents that have been a total game changer for me, and I’m thinking they would be great if you’re having to wear a mask for any extended period of time. You just pop it under your mask and it keeps the mask from being sucked into your nose. You can order a 5-pack for less than $10 on Amazon.
I hope this little post gives you some fun to look forward to as we head into the weekend. Happy Friday!