Happy Friday! We survived the first full week of 2022! How is everyone feeling? I’m counting myself lucky as I have my whole crew under one roof for one more night. Grace and Eddie head back to school this weekend. For Grace, it will be for her last semester of college. How is that even possible? I feel like I just stopped crying about her leaving us and she’s almost ready to graduate. For all of those mamas in the trenches with little ones, I promise you time just races by once they get to school. High school is over in what seems like a minute and college in a blink. Fingers crossed my beautiful girl will find her next chapter in Chicago. It should be a very interesting spring!
I thought it would be fun to fill my first Friday Five of the year with ideas to start 2022 off on the right foot…nothing crazy…just five possibilities to brighten up your January. Let’s go!
- One Question A Day: Over the holidays, one of my girlfriends gifted me the One Question A Day–5 Year-Journal. Even though I make my living as a writer, I’ve never been one to keep a journal because it always felt like one more thing to do. But this clever little book asks one question a day and only allows three lines for your answer. That I can do! The idea is that I will return to these questions year after year for the next five years, creating a little time capsule. (Today’s question was: What is the best news I’ve received lately?) So far, this has felt super simple and I think it will be fun thing for my kids to look at when I’m really old and gray.
- A Second-a-Day Video: My daughter has done this the last couple of years and it turned out to be the coolest thing. Every day (or almost every day), she takes a one-second video on her phone. Then once a month or so, she pieces these one-second fragments together until the end of the year when she has six-plus minute video that tells the story of her year (she uses the iMovie App to do this). It’s a sweet reminder of all the things that happen, the people we meet, and the places we go.
- 4-Week New Year Healthy Reset: Starting next Tuesday, January 11, my friend Mollie Lawncizak–a health and wellness coach in Lake Bluff–is offering a 4-week reboot course where she’ll cover healthy living topics, share tips and recipes, and make herself available for a weekly accountability check-ins. Mollie is also a big believer in the buddy system and will be leveraging her group zoom sessions and a private facebook page to make this happen. I’m definitely doing this and would love to see a few familiar faces. Click here for more details or to sign up to join us.
- Cutest Quilt Jacket: I’ve put myself on a “just dressing out of my closet” program for the next several months, but I didn’t start that until after I picked up this quilted little number. It’s new from J. Crew and I know I will be living in this cute extra layer on these cold January days. I ordered a medium and it fits perfectly.
- Biossance Rose Oil: My skin has gotten so incredibly dry these last few weeks. Over the holiday break, I decided to try the Biossance Squalane +Vitamin C Rose Oil. I put it on under my moisturizer, before my makeup in the morning, and I’ve noticed a huge difference in how my skin feels. It even seems to be helping the areas around my nose that get crazy chapped from my chronic runny nose. A little seems to go a long way.
That’s all I have for today. I’m off to see my favorite quarterback return to the basketball court and cheer on his team tonight. I’m so excited. Bleacher mom is definitely my vibe these days.
Have a super weekend!
Photo by Jenn Marie Photography