Happy Monday! Last week, to switch it up, I made this asparagus quiche for dinner. The nice thing about this recipe is that it actually makes two full pies, so you can make one for yourself and freeze the other–or treat a friend to a surprise homemade dinner. This quiche easily serves six.
What You Need
- 1 pound fresh asparagus trimmed and cut
- 10 slices of bacon
- 2 (8 inch) unbaked pie shells
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
What You Do
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place asparagus in a steamer over 1 inch boiling water and cover. (I just did mine in the microwave for 2 minutes.) Cook until tender, but still firm, about 2 to 6 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside. (Again, I did mine in the microwave–about 5 to 7 minutes until crunchy.)
- Brush pie shells with beaten egg white. Sprinkle crumbled bacon and chopped asparagus into pie shells.
- In a bowl, beat together eggs, cream, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle Swiss cheese over bacon and asparagus. Pour egg mixture on top of cheese.
- Bake uncovered in preheated oven until firm, about 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool to room temperature before serving.
Serve with a green or fruit salad and enjoy! This would be great for a luncheon or summer dinner on the patio, too.
Reese’s Peanut Butter No-Bake Pie
As a bonus addition to today’s post, I’m including the recipe for the Reese’s Peanut Butter No-Bake Pie that I made for myself yesterday. It was so rich, but so good–and I may or may not have had a piece for breakfast this morning. Ha! I promise I’m back on the healthy wagon…starting now!
What You Need
- 1 package oreos (14.3 oz)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
PEANUT BUTTER FILLING
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 container cool whip (8 oz), thawed
- 1 & 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Reese’s peanut butter cups, some cut in half, others chopped
What You Do
- Process the oreos in a food processor or blender until fine crumbs remain. In a large bowl, combine the crushed oreos with the melted butter. Press this mixture evenly into a 9 or 10 inch pie pan. Use the bottom of a measuring cup to pack the crust down. Place the crust in the fridge to chill until ready to fill.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the peanut butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer until well blended. Add the cool whip and blend on low until combined. Spread this mixture over the crust. Return pie to the fridge while making the ganache.
- Place chocolate chips in a medium heat-proof bowl.
- In a small pot over low heat, heat the heavy cream until just before boiling.
- Pour the heavy cream over the chocolate chips. Allow the mixture to stand for 1-2 minutes.
- Use a spatula to stir the mixture until smooth.
- Allow the ganache to come to room temperature before adding it to the pie. Pour the ganache on top of the pie, using a spatula to evenly spread it.
- Before the chocolate hardens, add the peanut butter cups. Start by adding the halved peanut butter cups around the edges, placing them as close or as far apart as you want. Then add chopped peanut butter cups to the center of the pie.
- Cover the pie with tinfoil and return to the fridge or freezer for 1-2 hours. Before serving, remove the pie from the freezer and let it sit for a 15 minutes to make cutting it easier. Cover and refrigerate or freeze any leftovers.