Hey friends. We made it to the weekend. I’ve heard from a number of you that this has been a tough one, so I’m hoping you all can enjoy a little of the sunshine that’s in the forecast this weekend.
My high school senior and eighth grader both have playoff games this weekend and I’m a bit of a wreck. I know the weather is crummy and it might make sense to start cheering for some indoor sports, but I’m just not ready for their seasons to be over. I know people wonder how I can be so supportive of a sport that takes such a physical toll on the boys, but there really is something magical that happens over the years as these boys play together. Last night, I helped with a team dinner for all of the boys who will be part of the playoff team at the high school. It was all of the varsity players, plus some boys from the freshmen and junior varsity teams. It was so cool to watch the younger guys mix with the older players. I couldn’t help but take in the awe they had for the older boys or the anticipation of what’s just down the road if they continue to play. There is such a brotherhood among this crew and I feel so lucky to have had a front row seat to their story this fall.
Can you just feel me getting more and more sappy about things? I’m trying to keep it in check, but I have so many emotions bubbling up as some of the “lasts” tick away for my kids who are graduating this year. Thank goodness I still have my eighth grader Jimmy! (You can just guess how thrilled he is to be stuck with me!)
Before I get too mushy, let’s change gears to some of my favorite things from the week. Here we go.
- Not All Diamonds And Rose: If you’re a Bravo Real Housewives fan like I am, this book is for you! With the help of Bravo executives (including Andy Cohen) and producers, author David Quinn talked to all but two women who have been a part of this television show for his newly released book Not All Diamonds And Rose. Talk about tea! And while some of the juiciest nuggets have already been shared in the publicity around this this book launch, the behind-the-scenes stories the television crews share are worth snagging your own copy. Perfect for a rainy Friday night!
- Dopesick: Last week when my daughter was home from college on break, we were desperate for some good television to watch. She had heard that Michael Keaton’s new series on Hulu called Dopesick was worth seeing and she was right. This 8-episode series examines how one company triggered the worst drug epidemic in American history. Only five episodes have been released so far, but it’s incredibly compelling. Heavy, but very well done.
- The Impeachment: Speaking of TV, have you watched American Crime Story’s The Impeachment? I wasn’t a huge fan when this series began, but as its gained momentum I’ve been completely taken in. I was in my early 20’s when this story originally unfolded, so my memory is a little fuzzy on some of the details. This docu-series has done a fantastic job telling this story from Monica Lewinsky’s perspective. She executive produces this series, but it somehow doesn’t feel unfairly biased towards her. It’s now available through most programming providers on demand.
- The Drop Out–Elizabeth Holmes on Trial: If you’re looking for a new podcast, I just started listening to The Drop Out: Elizabeth Holmes on Trial this week. I’ve been completely fascinated by this story of a 19-year-old who, fashioned herself after Steve Jobs, was able to create Theranos–a billion dollar company–and then lose it all over night. This new podcast will take you inside the courtroom, breaking down the evidence, and keeping score for both sides until 12 jurors decide the fate of the Theranos founder and new mother. Three years after she was first charged, we find out how this saga finally ends. Another great binge-worthy story.
- Plaid and ruffled…yes please: After all of this heavy stuff, how about something cute? I found this darling blouse at J. Crew last week (I’m seen wearing it above) and I think it’s just perfect for a casual Thanksgiving look. J.Crew has several versions of this style in different color ways…this one, this one, and this one. I love them all! (For reference, I’m wearing a small.)
That’s all I have for this week, folks! Have a super weekend! Gooooo Scouts! And go Irish!