I’m thinking of things I can have in the house over the next couple of weeks that will fill the kids while they’re off from school or be a great meal in a pinch if friends or family stop by. I stumbled on this soup recipe from A Pinch of Yum last week and it’s just as delicious as it is easy to make. And if I’m being honest, it tasted even better the day after I made it. This is a great recipe to have in your holiday rotation. It easily serves 4-6.
What You Need
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3–4 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage (mild or hot)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- 1–2 tablespoons flour (optional, makes it a bit thicker)
- 5 cups chicken broth
- One 15-ounce can of cannellini beans
- 4 medium potatoes, diced (any kind of potato will work)
- 2 stalks kale, ribs removed, chopped
- 3/4 cup heavy cream (can sub 2% to make this a little healthier)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (more or less to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper and lemon juice
What You Do
- Onions, Garlic, and Sausage: Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic; sauté for 10 minutes or until very soft and fragrant. Add the sausage and cook until browned. Drain out excess grease.
- Spices: Add the smoked paprika and flour; sauté for one minute.
- Veggies: Add broth, a little at a time. Add potatoes; bring to a simmer over low heat. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add kale and white beans and simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
- Finish: Add half and half (or milk of your choice), salt, pepper, and lemon juice to taste. Add some crusty bread and a salad on the side and you have yourself a very nice dinner in mere minutes.