Happy Thanksgiving week! As we head into some big days filled with eating, I decided to start this Monday with something lighter: a Chicken Veggie Buddha Bowl inspired by the amazing chefs at Delish. Not only is it healthy, but it’s easy and you can literally make it with whatever veggies or protein you happen to have in your fridge. (My yogi friend Heather says she literally makes this meal once a week for her family when she’s in a pinch.) This recipe features chicken, but leftover Thanksgiving turkey would be great, too!
A lot of recipes suggest serving this bowl with hummus, but this version calls for a delicious peanut sauce that you can drizzle on top. This makes the bowl feel more like dinner. The following recipe serves 4 so I double for my crew.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes or 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (you know me…I buy either the sweet potato or butternut squash all ready to go from the produce section)
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 2 chopped zucchini
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 4 cup cooked brown rice or quinoa according to package
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Freshly chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Cherry tomatoes for topping
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 425°. On a large baking sheet, toss sweet potatoes and onion with 1 tablespoon of oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake until tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together garlic, peanut butter, lime juice, soy sauce, and honey. Whisk in sesame oil and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil until smooth.
- Divide brown rice or quinoa among four bowls and top each with sweet potato mixture, chicken, zucchini, avocado, and baby spinach. Sprinkle with cilantro, cherry tomatoes, and sesame seeds and drizzle with dressing before serving.
Enjoy! Have a great week!