After spending a lot of time in the kitchen over the weekend, I’m so happy to let my slow cooker do the work for me today. Tonight, I’ll be serving up Italian Beef Sandwiches using a spice blend developed by Lake Forest’s very own Zen of Slow Cooking.
It was just this kind of thinking that led Meg Barnhart and partner Jane McKay to launch the Zen of Slow Cooking, a company based on getting family and friends around the dinner table stress-free using their amazing array of spice blends in a slow cooker or Instapot. In addition to restoring peace of mind to many a chef, Zen of Slow Cooking employs the special needs community and does a great deal of spreading goodness in the world.
Today I’m partnering with the Zen of Slow Cooking in a giveaway for one of their spice sampler kits. To participate, check out our posts on Instagram for instructions on how to enter. Winners will be announced on Thursday.
But for now, here’s how you can make these Zen of Slow Cooking Italian Beef Sandwiches.
What You Need
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup (1 small) onion diced
- 2 teaspoons (4 cloves) garlic, minced
- 3-1/2 pounds beef chuck roast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Zen of Slow Cooking Tuscan blend spice packet (available at Sunset Foods)
- 2 cups beef broth
- Italian rolls
- For serving: Giardiniera
What to Do
- Slow Cooker: 1) Heat the oil in a skillet; cook the onion for 3 minutes; stir in the garlic; transfer to cooker. 2) Season the beef with salt & pepper and brown on each side for 2 minutes; transfer the beef to the cooker. 3) Stir in the Tuscan blend and broth. 4) Cover and cook on LOW: 9 hours or HIGH: 4 hours. 5) Remove the beef from cooker; slice onto Italian rolls and top with giardiniera.
- Pressure Cook: 1) Heat the oil on sauté function; cook the onion for 3 minutes; stir in the garlic. 2) Season the beef with salt & pepper and brown on each side for 2 minutes. 3) Stir in the Tuscan blend and broth. 4) Secure the cooker lid, seal pressure valve; cook on Manual/Pressure for 60 minutes. 5) Natural Pressure Release for 10 minutes; vent with Quick Pressure Release. 6) Remove the beef from cooker; slice onto Italian rolls and top with giardiniera.
Serve the sandwiches with a cup of broth on the side for dipping and a small greens salad.
Enjoy! And be sure to check out our giveaway on Instagram!