Hi everyone. I hope your long 4th of July weekend is off to an awesome start. Mine began today with an early 5-mile walk with one of my best friends from childhood. She now lives just outside D.C. but visits Lake Forest almost monthly to look after her parents. I always tell her that she’s my superhero because she is such a role model for how to care for your parents in such a loving way.
My friend and I cover just about everything on our walks, but today she was most curious about how things were going with four of my kids at home since we haven’t had the gang together in a while. While it’s mostly been smooth sailing, there have been a few moments…. 😉 I told her a story about walking into the kitchen yesterday and witnessing a battle of the alphas. And that’s when she told me one of the funniest things I’ve ever heard. She said a mom friend of hers with six kids told her, “Don’t you know that a little bird has to poop in its nest before it flies away?” Isn’t that the best way to think about the prickly behavior and the picking at each other that happens right before they leave for college or move on to their next adventure? They are pooping in their nest. Brilliant.
In other news…I have lots of fun things to share with you this week.
- Looking some 4th of July menu inspo? Here’s what I’m planning to make this week.
- Speaking of the 4th of July, this year’s holiday will mark the one-year anniversary of the tragedy in Highland Park last year. As a way to heal, the most amazing group came together and created a beautiful art exhibit at Sunset Woods Park in Highland Park. It was a simple idea that brought dozens of people together who might not have met otherwise. You can read more about it here.
- Camp Hope is revving up for its summer sessions later this month. For those of you who aren’t familiar with Camp Hope, it is a five-day recreational and residential summer camp in the Chicago area for teenagers and young adults with developmental disabilities. Camp Hope offers typical summer camp activities such as swimming, dancing, singing, arts and crafts, adaptive sports, cookouts, a magic show, and a carnival. They are always in need of volunteers to help make camp a magical experience. To sign up, click here. This is a wonderful service opportunity for your teen or for families to do together.
- Grace and I took ourselves on a Girls’ Night Out this week to Winnetka’s Spirit Elephant and it was delicious! I love the vibe of this restaurant and their vegan menu is pretty unbelievable.
- I stopped by The Lake Forest Shop this week and their new merchandise is so much fun. They have some great things for the 4th of July and many of them are on sale. Their cute intern MK put together this cute try-on video of what’s in store.
- The 4th of July is great for sale shopping. If you have had your eye on anything at J. Crew, this may be the weekend to snag it! Many things on their site are 50-60% off with the code FOURTH.
- If you haven’t jumped on the very late Succession train, do! We are half way thru season three and we are absolutely hooked!
- If you’re in the market for a red dress, this one is pretty special. (I ordered the medium and it’s just right.)
- I had to buy a new planner last week and I was so bummed not to be able to find the large weekly Day Designer I used last year that I loved so much. But I found a good second choice from Emily Ley. It’s called the Dapperdesk. There was only one color to choose from, but I love the layout. Here’s the link if you’re in need of one, too.
- I posted about my favorite summer makeup last week and even tried my hand at filming a tutorial. (Lord, help me.) A number of you asked about my necklaces in the little video. The colorful one is from Theodosia Jewelry and the charm necklace is from Hart Studio.
- While I was sitting at the pediatrician this week with my two youngest waiting for their wellness visits to be over, I feel down the rabbit hole of the IG account theamericanhome. It features the most amazing properties around Chicago and Wisconsin. It’s a great follow if you like historical architecture.
- Last week, I wrote about my “summer wellness” plan. I feel like I still need to tweak the food, but I was able to accomplish most of the exercise plan. I wasn’t able to squeeze in the extra at-home strength training with Jill Borega, but Monday is the start of a new week. I will try again!
- Have you listened to the podcast “Feel Better, Live More”? I listened to an episode yesterday that talked about how kindness is a super power. It is short and sweet.
- Lastly, I did write up a little post about the things that were helpful to me when I decided to live alcohol free. It’s there if you need it or know someone who could use it.
That’s all I have for this week! Have a wonderful holiday weekend.