Hi everyone! And happy Friday! I have sat down to write this post so many times, thinking I could squeeze it in among all the things and it never got done. This supports my ongoing mantra that I can do a lot of things, but I can’t do everything.
It’s been a busy couple of weeks over here, starting with the Notre Dame vs. USC game two weekends ago. I don’t know what it is, but night games take it out of me. Then, our college kids were home for fall break that week and our house had a revolving door on it. My kids now refer to our home as the “all inclusive,” which I think is so funny and so accurate! Their week home was filled with doctor’s appointments, fall shopping, some fancier cooking on my part, and some visits to see friends in other places.
I’m always amazed at how much college changes the kids. My mom used to tell me that she always thought we came home from college “different,” and now I know what she meant. I can’t quite put my finger on exactly how they’ve changed, but it’s never quite the same when they come home. I’m not saying this is a bad thing–I love to see all of the independence–but it’s different. I think feeling this nostalgia for the kids and also having our dear next door neighbors of 12 years move to Arizona to start their next chapter as empty nesters really hit me like a ton of bricks. Life is a-changing! I’m trying to love and embrace all of it, but sometimes that’s really hard. If you’re feeling this way too, I see you!
And on top of all of this, there has been a lot going on that I want to share with you. So here are some of my favorites this Friday…along with a few things to put on your radar! Let’s go!
- New Exhibit: Yesterday, I visited a new exhibit that opened this week at the Illinois Holocaust Museum in Skokie called “I’ll Have What She’s Having–The Jewish Deli.” This exhibit explores how Jewish immigrants, mostly from Central and Eastern Europe, imported and adapted traditions to create a uniquely American restaurant. The exhibition reveals how Jewish delicatessens became a cornerstone of American food culture, and how delis served as a lifeline for many Holocaust Survivors and refugees who came to the United States. The Holocaust Museum also infused hyperlocal stories into this exhibition, so much so that as I watched some of the visitors yesterday–they were saying out who they recognized in the films being shown and reminiscing about their favorite memories at Chicago delis. It’s a wonderful way for community to gather at a time when we all need to be rallying together.
- Give Me All the Stripes: Stripes are always in style, but I feel like they are especially in the fall. I picked up this cute cotton rollneck sweater that is just perfect for these warmer fall days. It’s not showing up on sale online, but I did get it in store at a reduced price.
- Everyday Exfoliator: The constant change in temperatures is messing with my skin a little bit, so I started using these M-61 PowerGlow Peel pads everyday before I put on my makeup. They have helped so much!
- Cute Notre Dame Hotel Alternative: Today on the blog, I posted a story about a cute little cottage we stayed at when we went to the ND-USC game. It was a great alternative to the South Bend hotel scene. Definitely worth a read.
- The Perfect Green Coat: Speaking of Notre Dame, I found the perfect green coat to wear to Eddie’s senior night for his last home game against Wake Forest. If you love kelly green, you will love this coat.
- See Kitty Brandtner Speak: Kitty Brandtner, founder of the anti-assault weapon group March Fourth, is coming to Gorton Community Center in Lake Forest on November 6 at 7:30 p.m. In light of the mass shooting in Maine this week, everyone should hear Kitty speak! I went to one of her events last month and she is incredible.
- Holiday Boutique: If you’re a local, you should mark November 16-18 on your calendar for the Northwestern Lake Forest Holiday Boutique. I’ve heard directly from the event chairs that this year’s vendors are not to be missed. I’m most excited to see Buru (think big ruffle skirts) and My Charmed Life (all of the vintage jewelry charms you can dream of).
- Fun Fall Table Decor and Recipes: I hosted a little birthday party for some girlfriends earlier this week and leaned into my fall self. Here’s how I set my table and what I made for dinner.
I think that’s all I have for now. There’s lots of great football happening this weekend. My beloved Lake Forest Scouts are in the first round of the playoffs against Lakeview High School in the city. And we’re off to cheer on ND play Pitt tomorrow with my sister and her family and I can’t wait. Enjoy your weekend!
Disclaimer: If you purchase an item through a link in this post, I do make a small commission–almost as if I were your personal shopper. I only share what I love and I promise to let you know if I’m specifically working with a brand to help promote their products.